Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

This morning I noticed my dogs right eye was swelling. When

Customer Question
This morning I noticed my...
This morning I noticed my dogs right eye was swelling. When I examined his eye then I realized the left side of his face is large and swollen. He has a lot fur so the only way I noticed was due to his eye. He has a lot of skin (West Highland Terrier) problems so we give him a half of a steroid pill every other day along with benadryl. I gave him a benadryl about an hour ago but it appears to be the same. The area has a small wound of some kind. I can't tell if it was a bite or just one of his regular skin lesions. I got him to eat a little bit this morning and he just drank water. He is just sleeping a little more than normal but his appetite does seem to be decreased slightly. If it is still this large tomorrow I will bring him in but I don't think its an emergency situation at this point.Any thoughts on what I should do at this time or what it could be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This swelling may be due to an allergic reaction caused by an insect bite or something else. It may also be the beginnings of an abscess growing in this area. Continue with the Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs and also apply hot compresses to this area that will draw out any infection that may be growing under the skin. Watch this area that appears as a bite and clip away the fur and apply peroxide to this to clean this. This is probably not an emergency but watch this area that has the lesion...if there is pus under the skin, it will come out at this point.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian