Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our mini-schnauzer is not eating and is standing with s back

Customer Question
Our mini-schnauzer is not eating...
Our mini-schnauzer is not eating and is standing with his back up and his front paws stretched out? Any ideas
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your guys condition....I know this is scary....

Most likely your guy has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in schnauzers because of their conformation. Since he does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain and odd stance. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when he jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as you can force feed your guy some liquified canned dog food, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian