Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I cut my dog by accident while trying to groom her, Shes not

Customer Question

I cut my dog by accident while trying to groom her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: Shes not bleeding at all and shes not acting like it hurts. But there is kind of a flap And its red on the inside now
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She is only 7 months old shes had ger rabies shots and everything. Shes not acting like its tender or anything either
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is lilly
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Where is the cut located?

2- How long has it been since the accident?

3- How big is the cut?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its under her arm almost in the armpit area its not even an inch. It happened on wednesday night. And ive been watching it it was pink but it is red now aftrr i took her to the groomers and had her shaved. The groomer said it looks serious but lilly doesnt act like it hurts and its not bleeding
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the picture. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, this is not a life threatening cut. But, it may need a couple of stitches for it to heal quickly. The red tissue you are seeing is the muscle in that region. The fact this happened on Wednesday it is best to treat it as an open wound for a couple of days then you can speak to your vet about placing a couple of sutures. This is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the wound. If she does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian as described above.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter