Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Vomiting and diarrhea She has well controlled Diabetes.

Customer Question
Vomiting and diarrhea She...
Vomiting and diarrhea She has well controlled Diabetes. Never had this problem before.
She ate her morning meal and had her insulin. If she does not eat her evening meal 1) should I give her the insulin tonight and 2) is there anything I should be giving her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

My protocol is to maintain the same dose of insulin if one meal is missed, halve the dose if two meals are missed, and stop administration if three meals are missed and then consult with Meggie's vet. While vomiting and diarrhea are important symptoms they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Acute pancreatitis, however, is an important differential diagnosis in any diabetic demonstrating gastrointestinal distress. You can administer an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb repeated in 12 hours and a "coating agent" such as PeptoBismol (bismuth subsalicylate) dosed at 0.1 - 1 mL/lb 3-4 times daily. If dosing induces more vomiting, however, it's best not to give anything more orally and consult with her vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Maryann,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Meggie. How is everything going?