Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My friend's 14 lb dog may have swallowed 2mg of coumadin,

Customer Question
My friend's 14 lb dog...
My friend's 14 lb dog may have swallowed 2mg of coumadin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your friend's dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zydel and she is 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zydel?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did this happen?

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but as this is quite a serious situation, I want to leave my thoughts for your return.

As I am sure you can appreciate, this is an anticoagulant and therefore will negatively impact her ability to clot her blood. That said, these drugs don’t have an instant effect (since it takes time for the body to run out of circulating clotting factors). So, while we may not see bleeding (internally, from the nose, GI, etc) or associated signs (ie breathing changes, paling gums, collapse); we need to act fast.

If it has been less than an hour, we can induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we will need to follow up with her vet for prophylactic vitamin K1 treatment. This tends to be used for at least 2 weeks with this drug and will help her keep clotting while the drug is in her system. Of course, if her vet is worried about her clotting ability (or if your friend cannot take the above steps for her), IV fluids along with the above done by her vet can help get this tablet back and/or limit its chance of causing her harm.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian