Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog keeps itching mself specifically s ears and s right

Customer Question

My dog keeps itching himself specifically his ears and his right underarm, along with biting his tail and it has gotten to the point of bleeding and hot spots. He had really long hair and i thought that was botheing him so i got his hair cut along with a check up At a vet and he does not have flees or anythng. What could the reason be and what can i do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: After cutting his hair i also noticed that his left ear may br bothering him he keeps it flipped back and when i try moving it back to normal it just flips right back. Hes 4 years old
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Did his vet see any changes in the ear?

Has his vet tried any treatment?

Are you seeing any pimples, pustules, scaling or crusting where he is showing irritation?

Even though he has no fleas, is he being treated monthly for them? What brand do you use?

Any diet change in the 4-6 weeks before this started?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Diet change. He lives inside an apartment, and is not in contact with any animals so we do not regularly receive flee treatment although i can purchase some flea shampoo. I noticed a big red patch on his tail similar to a hot spot about 2 days ago and hadn't noticed anything before (as i mentioned his hair was very long so i did not notice) so i took him to the vet and he said we can call him tomorrow for a diagnosis or for his opinion as to what is affecting the dog but mentioned nothing about his ear. I won't be able to reach the vet till monday but my dog keeps itching his ear and i can tell he feels discomfort and i don't want him to harm himself any further so i wanted to ask what i can do in the meanwhile or what it could be. They are not pimples and no crusting is apparent, but i can see redness and hotspots under his arm, some bleeding in his ear because he scratched himself, and a hot spot on his tail as i mentioned before
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Since you noted his vet will report back to you tomorrow on a diagnosis, are they running tests? What are the testing for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a matter of testing. When i got to the clinic the vet who examined my dog was not in and they told me to call back on monday as they are closed for the weekend. The nurse available though did not mention anything about the ear but told me there was nothign serious. I am worried though because i can't get him to stop the itching
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for clarifying,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see skin irritation/itchiness and secondary infection like the hot spots related to a range of issues. As well, it is possible to see ear issues being caused by the same issues that target the skin since the ears are lined with skin.

With this all in mind and considering how many irritated sites he has and lack of ksin changes, this is most suggestive of a diffuse issue. Therefore, flea allergies (which is to the saliva and only takes one flea bite) and environmental (pollen, dust mite, storage mite, etc) would be our top concerns here.

Now I appreciate he has little contact with other dogs, but remember that fleas are mobile parasites. We can carry them into our homes or they can even get there on their own. Therefore, if he hasn’t been treated for these, it would be ideal to do so now. Flea shampoo doesn’t tend to have long lasting effects, so a spot on treatment would be better. Furthermore, if we are treating with this, we can choose to use one (ie Advocate, Advantage Multi, Revolution or Stronghold) that also covers mites/lice and ear mites as well.

Otherwise, to try to reduce his irritation, you can try him with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course, if his signs are severe, we may need his vet to start steroids when they see him.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** ear and hot spots. Since both are bothering him, we can flush them both with saline. You can make this by adding 1tbsp salt to a pint warm water. This is safe to use to flush the ears and cleanse the hot spots. It can be used 2-3 times daily. Afterwards, pat the hot spots dry and you can apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to the hot spots and outside (not inside) of the ear. This will reduce inflammation and reduce his itchiness. Otherwise, if he keeps bothering the ear, we may also need to use an e-collar for the short term to protect the area and prevent him getting bacteria into the ear and causing an infection.

Overall, your lad sounds to have an underlying allergy that is now causing some irritating infections like the hot spots. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care now until his vet can see him and treat further as needed.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You so much! This was very helpful and i will make sure to follow up with you if anything else happens
-Jana
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, Jana.

I am glad I could give you a plan of action and hopefully we can get your lad more comfortable over the weekend. :)

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet