Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a ear infection can I use antipyrine and

Customer Question
benzocaine solution JA: I'm sorry to...
My dog has a ear infection can I use antipyrine and benzocaine solution
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harley and 7_months
JA: How old is Harley?
Customer: 7 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harley?
Customer: Nope
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Unfortunately, we wouldn't want to use this product in his ear. In fact, we need to be very careful what we put in ears. If this infection has ruptured his ear drum, use of any ear medications could cause serious harm (deafness, head tilt seizures, etc). This is why vets examine deep into the ear canal before deciding to treat directly in the ear or use oral tablets.

Therefore, we don't want to risk Harley's hearing or health there. Therefore, we'd avoid this and other ear medications at this stage. Instead, you can safely clean the ear with saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, salt water made at a concentration of 1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). This can be used 2-3 times daily and will safely help flush the bacteria/yeast from the ears. If the infection is mild, this may be all he needs. If the ear pinna is sore, you can even apply an OTC hydrocortisone to soothe it. Otherwise, if his signs don't settle with these in the next 12-24 hours, we'd want to plan to have his vet examine his ear, confirm his ear drum is safely intact, and dispense a more appropriate and dog safe treatment to get this settled for Harley.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian