Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a six month old puppy with an extensive hx of

Customer Question
I have a six...

I have a six month old puppy with an extensive hx of diarrhea. Today when she urinated, her urine was pink. Both dogs had a half a cooked beet at lunch time. I, of course, jumped to the conclusion she has a uti. She weighs 37 pounds. The other dog is a 12 year old, 67 lb Weim. There was no staining in his urine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She's on a probiotic for the intestinal issues and has had a normal stool for about two weeks. The only change to her diet was the addition on fresh beets, half yesterday and half today in a cup and a third of no grain kibble.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he urinating more frequently?

2- Any other symptoms besides the pink urine color?

No and no

Friend, as you may already know beets can sometimes change the color of urine to pink. So, it is very likely that the color change is due to the beets. I would recommend you do not give any beets for the next 24 hours. If the pink color does not go away then she could have a urinary tract infection. For now just observe her.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!