Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a small 12 lb. female Chihuahua that ate a 2.5 inch

Customer Question

I have a small 12 lb. female Chihuahua that ate a 2.5 inch long pork bone that was approx. 1/4" in diameter about an hour ago. She chewed the bone down to approx. 4 pcs. Will she be okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Robert,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'love wait for your 10-15 minute response.

Hello again Robert,

Please don't worry too much about this, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, that is about all you can do as it is not recommended to make Maddie sick to recover solid objects like pork bones in case it causes problems on the way back up. For the moment just monitor her, treat and feed her as normal and see what happens, however in my experience most dogs will get way with this sort of incident, even smaller dogs like yours.

2. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers. And some digestion and softening of the rib bone is possible in your dog's alimentary tract and this will help her to pass it, and the fact she fragmented it into smaller pieces is very much in your favour.

3. However there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems related to intestinal obstruction or intestinal tract damage. You would be therefore be wise to monitor Maddie for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your local vet without delay if you do see such symptoms.

I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Maddie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. ..
Bob Hiser

No problem Bob, very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Bob,

I am just checking back in to see how Maddie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning pork bone incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The whole communication between Dr. Scott and myself was very professional and knowledgeable. The response time was excellent. His knowledge of the problem made me feel at ease. My dog Maddie appears after 16 hours, to be in good spirits just as what Dr. Scott's outcome would be based upon his experience.

Hi Robert,

Thanks so much for the update and the kind comments, I am so glad that Maddie happy and is not showing any adverse symptoms ...

Please get back me if things change in any way ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system } after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maddie. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers