Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got s collar stuck in s mouth, I took it out but s…

Customer Question
My dog got his collar...
My dog got his collar stuck in his mouth, I took it out but his mouth is swollen and bleeding a bit. Should I take him to the vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Kate,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Do you have any idea how long was the collar stuck in his mouth for?

2. And how long has it been off for?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Kate,

Thanks for the photos, very useful, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. From the photos it does not look as if there has been any serious damage done, I have seen a number of cases like this in the past and if the mucous membranes on the mouth are a pink colour the chances are you have nothing to worry about, and given a few hours his mouth should return to normal, some slight swelling is to expected but this should go down over the course of the next six to eight hours or so. Apply a warm compress to any swollen areas every couple of hours, this should help the blood circulation return and help reduce any swelling faster.

2. Danger signs would any be any dark discolouration of the skin in the area or his mucous membranes as this could indicate necrosis through lack of blood supply. But if things do not slowly start to resolve or if you become further concerned then have him checked over by your local vet but this would be unlikely.

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Maxwell's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Kate,

I am just checking back in to see how Maxwell is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the collar incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you for checking in. He is doing great! The swelling is basically gone. No more botox lips for him! Haha thank you for your help!

Hi Kate,

Thanks so much for the update, I thought Maxwell would be OK ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

.

Hi Kate,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maxwell. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers