Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 lb pomeranian just swallowed a 1 inch turkey tendon. He…

Customer Question
My 5 lb pomeranian...

My 5 lb pomeranian just swallowed a 1 inch turkey tendon. He seems ok bit I am worried. What should I look for that is worrisome?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He was chewing the tendon and I looked away and it was gone, he swallowed it whole. He didn't struggle or choke or anything

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am in a very different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning and found your question. My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. I have know many dogs, even very small dogs like your one swallow objects like this and get away with it so it is very possible that his digestive system will handle this.

2. But to answer your question if problems were going to occur then then they would be related to intestinal tract obstruction. So the sort of symptoms you should be looking out for would include vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course you should consult your local vet without delay if any such symptoms occur.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Pom is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the turkey tendon ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian