Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Has lump wart like in appearance appear on s back keeps

Customer Question
Has lump wart like...

Has lump wart like in appearance appear on his back keeps itching and scratching at it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Collie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. How old is Collie?

11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Collie?

He does have sensitive skin and has recently developed a smell

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your dog's skin issues. Dogs do get wart-like bumps called papillomas. They are caused by a papilloma virus and tend to show up in older dogs. Most of the time the dog doesn't even notice them, but sometimes they can dig and scratch at them and actually make them bleed. In these cases, it's best to get rid of it. The problem with papillomas is they go very deep in the skin, so in order to fully get rid of them, you have to resect the full thickness of the skin. I have had luck using Compound W on them. This is a human wart medication. It can take a couple of weeks to work, but tends to get rid of them a little better then superficially removing them.

If you notice the lump starts to grow rapidly or change shape or appearance, you should see a veterinarian. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian