Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Edric, my pitbull has bright red diarrhea, He had a normal…

Customer Question
Edric, my pitbull has...

Edric, my pitbull has bright red diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He had a normal movement this morning did not eat he is only fed once a day did not drink or eat much

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

How old is he and is he up to date on his vaccines?

Is it red like bloody diarrhea or just red pigmented (possibly from food/treat pigments)?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, hard swallowing or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

He has shown these symptoms just today, only thing yesterday was that his poop was straining but no blood. He is almost 2 years old, not up to date on his vaccines. His stool comes out normal solid green & then he squirts out bright red, he vomit right after drinking water(but that's normal for him because he drinks too fast). His gums are pink & moist. He did not feel any discomfort when pressing against his stomach. He eats grass & he had a dog bone.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that there is no blood present despite this fecal discoloration. In that case, we can all breathe a sigh of relief, as our more worrisome causes of bloody diarrhea are not likely. Instead, we may just have a dietary indiscretion from something he ate, a brewing GI infection, pancreatitis, or parasitic issue.

Therefore, since he is otherwise comfortable, we can try some supportive care to see if we can soothe this for him. To start, you can put him onto a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

As well, since there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Finally, since he is young and worms can be a trigger for what we are seeing, I would also suggest worming him at this point. Ideally, we want to use an OTC good quality wormer that will cover both round worms and tapeworms. Alternatively, you could get Panacur wormer from his vet as this covers the roundworms but also covers against some of our protozoal concerns. And of course, if he is vomiting after large drinks, do try to restrict him to small frequent ones to counter that for him.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Still if the stools are just discoloured and not bloody; then we'd want to use the above supportive care to settle his stomach. Of course, if he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable antibiotics +/- anti-protozoals to settle his loose stool, and get him back to normal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

There is blood, when I said bright red I had meant bright red blood. Like right after he makes a solid green stool he continues to pace in his squaring position squirting out blood.

Thank you for clarifying,

You did give the impression that wasn't the case when you said "no blood" in your reply. I suspect you just meant in one stool. Anyway, if we are seeing bloody diarrhea now, then it does raise serious concerns.

Therefore, can you tell me how much blood he actually passed? Was it a spoonful, more or less?

Was it only after the stool not with it?

Probably around a teaspoon and it was after the stool, this is morning stool was normal then today for his afternoon stool was bright red more red than the tarry color.

Thank you,

If he is passing only a spoonful at a time, that does thankfully make issues like bacterial colitis or protozoal infections (giardia, coccidian, cryptosporidia) more likely then our bigger worries like Parvo and Haemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. That said, with him being young, not up to date on vaccinations, and increasingly passing blood in his stool; those nasty viruses are still a worry. And because of that, we cannot use the anti-diarrheals and can only start a light diet +/- probiotics at this point. Otherwise, it would be highly advisable to have him checked and/or a stool sample tested at this point. That way we can identify which of these agents is present here quickly and make sure we treat and clear this before it can make him feel unwell.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian