Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 7 year old husky who is on prion tablets. we

Customer Question
I have a 7...

I have a 7 year old husky who is on prion tablets. we adopted her from a friend who had rescued her. We were told by her previous vet that she would be on proin for the rest of her life and need yearly urine analysis to get the pill. Now my vet (VCA) wants a six month urine analysis and bloodwork to refill the prescription. I feel like they are ripping us off.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the husky's name?

Kenai There is no strange behavior. She is healthy and just has bladder leakage. The vet charged us $400 in may for a urine analysis because she starting peeing in the house. Then wanted us to send her to a dog optamologist because of her eye. SHe is a rescue dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kenai?

Is there an alternative or another way to get proin tablets

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I entered my credit card info. What do I do now? I lost the page I was on
3/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It's not uncommon for some of these corporate vet hospitals (VCA, Banfield) to have protocols that they must follow. It's probably their protocol to have a urinalysis every 6 months for Proin. This is a prescription med, so you do need a veterinary script to order it, even from online pharmacies.

If you don't agree with the every 6 month urinalysis requirements, then I would use a different vet. I would go with a private vet as opposed to a corporate vet. They are much more lenient with their requirements. Yearly urinalysis is ideal, but I know a lot of vets who are just happy to examine the dog once a year for something like this that is pretty commonplace.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you very much. Do you have any recommendations for La QUinta CAlifornia?

I practice in Michigan. I don't know anyone in that area personally, sorry.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian