Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How do you help your dog dislodge something they ate

Customer Question
how do you help your dog dislodge something they ate
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Not all substances can be dislodged by giving them something. In most cases, if something is stuck in the intestinal tract, it requires surgery to remove it. If you are trying to prevent something from getting obstructed, adding fiber to the diet to increase fecal bulk can sometimes surround smaller objects and help it move along better. Sometimes giving mineral oil orally can help, but if she is vomiting, that is a very bad idea because she can aspirate that into her lungs. If you feel like she has an obstruction, though, and it not eating or is vomiting, I would highly recommend getting her to your vet sooner than later. If something is stuck in the intestinal tract, the longer it is there, the more damage to the intestinal tract it will do, causing lack of blood supply, tissue death, leakage into the abdominal cavity and a life threatening infection. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John