Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs right eye is closed shut. I think he had a reaction…

Customer Question
My dogs right eye is...
My dogs right eye is closed shut. I think he had a reaction to something. He kept rubbing it until it closed shut.
I gave a small amount of kids benedryl,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now when we our dogs have eye irritation, we do need to tread with care. This is because rubbing can be a sign of corneal trauma or ulceration or can even end up causing those complications itself.

Therefore, if he is irritated with this eye and you are concerned he is reacting to an in-contact irritant, we can consider flushing that eye with sterile saline. Examples we can use are OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. This can just allow us to remove anything causing irritation if present.

Otherwise, for allergies we can certainly use Benadryl. Though I would just note that it is important to use a dose appropriate for his size else it won't work. Therefore, do make sure the dose you gave was between 0.5-2 mg per pound of his body weight. If it wasn't, we many need to give a bit more and can do so up to every 8 hours.

Finally, if you use the above and don't see him settle in the next few hours or you see a haze/clouding or sore on the eye; then we may need to put an e-collar on him to stop him rubbing this and plan to see his vet. That way they can stain the eye to diagnose any damage and dispense eye drops to soothe and settle this for Piccolo.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Hi Cheryl,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Piccolo. How is everything going?
nekovet