Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 3 year old female WheatenTerrier woke me up panting

Customer Question
rather loudly. She was aggressively...
My 3 year old female WheatenTerrier woke me up panting rather loudly. She was aggressively licking her right front foot and it was sopping wet half way up her leg. She had apparently been at it for several hours since we went to bed about 11 pm because the carpet was sopping in several locations from her slobber. I got her up and let her outside. There is no limp, no tenderness when I press on the pads and between her pads. Nothing when I squeeze her leg. No blood visible. When she had access to her water she drank a lot. It could be a severe itch. I thought about snake bite but no swelling or sickness. It has been warm enough here in Tulsa for them to emerge I expect. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did you mean Benadryl?

Was dose did you give? How much does Karly weigh?

How long ago was it given?

She weighs 41 pounds. I gave her 13.5 mg about 5 hours ago. She stopped licking and knawing for about 4 hours starting 30 minutes after I gave her the med. Now she is back to licking.

Hello again,

My apologies that we missed one another before. In any case, considering Karly’s signs and lack of visible changes or lameness; allergic irritation would be our top concern here. Therefore, you were correct to reach for the Benadryl. The only issue is that the dose you gave was below the treatment range for her size and that is why its effects likely wore off so quickly. When using this treatment for dogs we tend to need to give 41lb dogs a dose between 20.5-82mg every 8 hours. Therefore, we’d want to consider giving her a more appropriate dose for her size for at least the next few days. If this has just been an allergen irritating her or a bug bite, a few days will usually settled this for them. Of course, any signs of snake bites, swellings or if this doesn’t settle; and we’d want her vet to have a check. They can just make sure there are no foreign bodies caught under her skin and rule out brewing infections. As well, they can administer a long acting steroid injection to nip this in the bud and get her settled. Though again, at this point we’d want to use a proper therapeutic dose for her and topically clean the area (ie salt water bathe) to block any risk of her causing herself a secondary infection.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )