Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's pacing and foaming at the mouth. He had a seizure

Customer Question
He's pacing and foaming...

He's pacing and foaming at the mouth. He had a seizure earlier that lasted about a minute. He's never had one before

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Scooter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Huh?

His name is Scooter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scooter?

He's shaking his head some, like its a tick, but not sure if that's because of the drool

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is Scooter?

How long ago was the seizure?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie medications, plants, chemicals,etc)?

Can you see any ticks on him?

Scooter is 12.
His seizure was about 5 hours ago.
He paced a little while like he was confused, but then he got up on the bed and went to sleep. I woke up to him pacing and foaming at the mouth. He keeps looking side to side, almost like a tick.His breathing would be abt 60.
No pale gums.
He was outside today, briefly, but I did not see him eat anything.
I do not see any ticks on him.

Oh dear,

If he is still showing pacing, foaming, and restless then this raises concerns that the trigger for his seizure is still ongoing. If he had had a seizure due to epilepsy, we'd have expected him to be normal once he awoke. Often the after effects are small and quickly resolve.

Therefore, since we are still seeing these signs this is more suggestive of a neurological issue that is still affecting him. This means we'd be wary of toxin (less likely if you are sure he hasn't eaten anything he should not have), but also brain infections (bacterial, viral, protozoal), brain bleeds, swelling, or a mass reaching a critical size such that its putting too much pressure on the brain. As well, we can also see this with systemic health issues (ie liver disease, kidney, etc) but usually we will see preliminary signs like increased thirst or changes to urination or weight.

Now with this all in mind, we are unfortunately limited in what we an do at home. The only real option here would be to reduce mental stimulation. To do this, we'd want him somewhere quiet, calm, and dimly lit. The aim is to encourage him to go back to sleep until his vet is open. Otherwise, if they are opening soon, he is very restless, or you do have a local ER vet; we 'd want to plan to get him seen. The vet can check a blood sample to rule out systemic issues and at the same time perform a neurological examination to help pinpoint the root of his signs. Depending on those findings, he may need to start anti-seizure medication, antibiotics, steroids, or we may even want an MRI to see what type of lesion is present. That way we can try to settle him, reduce these signs, keep him comfortable, and hopefully treat one of those more treatable issues.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )