Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My min pin is almost 11 years old. Two days ago I found a…

Customer Question
My min pin is almost...
My min pin is almost 11 years old. Two days ago I found a small lump on her left side neck. The vet I took her to did a needle aspiration and she said this is a tumor and needs to come off. She could not tell if it is benign or maligment. She is not able to do this. Is this a serious surgery and the cost, Can they do this as a laser surgery. I am really worried for my dog.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your Shadow has this mass and the aspiration was non diagnostic. Is there a way to get a second opinion on an aspiration, either by having your veterinarian send off the aspirations that were taken to a diagnostic laboratory or another veterinary clinic to aspirate the mass again?

I understand your hesitations and having a definitive "the cells are concerning and it should come off" versus "I can't tell you what it is but I think it needs to come off" will help guide your decision on surgery.

As far as surgery cost, this can vary wide throughout the country and even in the same town. It can range from $300 in a small town to $1000 at a specialty clinic in a city so finding someone that you are comfortable with and is not beyond your means is key.

Laser surgery can be used to remove the lump but that will increase your cost as most clinics who have this option will be a larger clinic since these are pricey pieces of equipment ($25k or so). A good surgeon can remove these lumps without laser and healing will be similar. I do lump removals regularly and dogs are back to normal within a week postoperatively

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another hour to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I would love to hear how you decided to proceed...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian