Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a pastry sweetened with xylitol. what do I do?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

As you know, xylitol can be toxic to pets so we need to induce vomiting. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

CLICK HERE for more information on xylitol in pets which lists:

The dose of xylitol that can cause hypoglycemia in the dog has been reported between 50 milligrams (mg) of xylitol per pound of body weight (100 mg per kg). The higher the dose ingested, the more the risk of liver failure.

So inducing vomiting is key and if the entire pastry is not brought up please consider a veterinary er to take precautionary measures with your dog

Once vomiting has been achieved, taking a few additional precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days an hour after the vomiting subsides
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided

Symptoms of xylitol toxicity develop rapidly, usually within 15-30 minutes of consumption. Signs of hypoglycemia may include any or all of the following:

• Vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Incoordination or difficulty walking or standing (walking like drunk)
  • Depression or lethargy
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma

In severe cases, the dog may develop seizures or liver failure. Dogs that develop liver failure from xylitol poisoning often show signs of hypoglycemia.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you and best of luck to you both truly

I am so very sorry if you are having troubles with the site, especially in this time sensitive situation. My fingers are crossed you were able to view the information and induce vomiting on your pet

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your pet to see if you were able to view my responses last night? How is your dog? Were there any ill effects of ingesting the pastry or were you able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian