Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My daughters dog has a yeast infection in ear. Ear was

Customer Question
My daughters dog has...

My daughters dog has a yeast infection in ear. Ear was packed , abt and pain given po. Dog must have picked at ear. Was able to clean and stop bleeding. Ear began to start bleeding again. Cleaned it. Liquid band aid and wrapped ear, and cone on dog. Po abt given

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your daughter's pup's ear is bleeding. I will do my best to help.

It would help me to know exactly where the bleeding is coming from - the tip of the ear or margin? Is it deeper inside the ear? Does she have any ointment that's being applied to treat the yeast overgrowth?

Thanks and I'll awair your reply.

~Dr. Sara

The vet packed her inner ear with antibiotics plus gave us abt and pain po meds on Thursday, I watched the dog Thursday into Friday she was doing well, sat my daughter went to work and came home to find blood on her ear. She brought her to me as I am a nurse, I cleaned Wound the best peroxide and dilute it with H2o little bit of pressure put bacitracin and bandaged it up today she was doing fine my daughter went to go take her outside for a walk and she noticed that that bandage was getting a little loose and she felt a little droplet for her in the bathroom A little blood into a lot of blood and her dad was draining it she called me right away brought the dog over to me I cleaned it again with peroxide and diluted with H2O Health a little pressure then put liquid Band-Aid on it and bandaged to back up gave her a PO abt to Cohen is back on her she is calm as long as I'm next to her I do call the vet message to see if I can see them in the morning just want to make sure I'm doing the right steps
She did have a hematoma and Yeast infection in the same ear A while ago where they packed it and they gave her PO meds and she did well with that but this time around she started bleeding I could think of is When my daughter was at work she must've scratched your ear or was shaking it that it started bleeding again

Thanks for all the extra info - that helps a lot. Can you please tell me where on the ear the wound is actually located? That'll help me give you some ideas on how to bandage it. Does she currently have a hematoma or was that awhile ago that she had one?

Thanks

~Dr. Sara

she does have a hematoma and an Ear infection in the same ( yeast). Thursday she was running a temp , wed on same ear she was sniped by another dog on the same ear but the very next day saw vet when they packed it , the ear very much swollen, after being packed this time around the vet didn't put cone on , dog looks like she scratched outer tip of ear on flap
I cleaned it , liquid bandage to try n stop the clotting and put gauze and adult underwear , and ace bandage and cone

Thanks - that's also helpful.

If that hematoma keeps recurring, she's likely to need surgery to repair it - although that's not necessarily an emergency situation. You can discuss that with your veterinarian tomorrow. Ear tip lesions are one of the must absolutely frustrating injuries that we come across because it's a very difficult area to bandage. No matter how well you apply the bandage, one shake of their head and it's off. Liquid bandage is not likely to hurt, but it's also unlikely to be enough to stop the bleeding. This is especially true if she has a hematoma that has ruptured - in that case the bleeding is going to be more severe than if it weren't a hematoma. Keeping her from shaking her head is going to be the name of the game tonight until she can be seen at the vet tomorrow. The underwear is ingenious, haha. It's all about creativity in a pinch, that's for sure! You may need to run to the store to get some bandaging material to keep things under control tonight. When I wrap ears I typically flip them up onto the top of the head, sandwich the area of the ear that's bleeding with gauze, and tape the ear to the top of the head. Next, I use cotton kling (the stretchy woven cotton) to wrap over top - passing directly on top of the bleeding ear and alternating in front of and behind the other ear. It's important to make sure it's not so tight on the bottom part that it's going to affect her breathing. A great way to keep the bandage from slipping is to cut a hole in the middle of the cotton to thread the opposite ear through - so rather than passing the roll in front of and behind the ear, it goes directly over and the other ear goes through the bandage to stabilize the wrap and keep it from slipping. After the cotton I wrap "vet-wrap" - a self-adhesive stretchy layer over top. Trust me, this type of bandage definitely takes practice - don't beat yourself up if it you have to reapply a few times.

That should get you through the night. Keep in mind that if the bleeding is quite severe, it'd be a good idea to seek emergency treatment. You'll have to use your judgement on that since I can't see her in person at the moment to know how serious the situation is.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian