Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy has a limp,..

Customer Question
My puppy has a limp,..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Melody's limp. How long has it been present? Which leg is it?

3-4 days. It is right front leg

Thank you for answering those questions. Is she putting a fair amount of weight on the leg? How old is she exactly?

About 8 weeks
YES, her limp is more apparent today.. She favors r leg..

Do you feel that it has always been this right front leg? Has it ever been another leg?

No. Just the right leg!!

Thanks again for answering those questions. With the duration of her limping, her age, and her breed - the most suspect things would have to be panosteitis or osteochondritis dessicans (OCD). Both of these are young, larger breed dog issues. With panosteitis, there is inflammation of the bone marrow - kind of like growing pains. It is diagnosed with x-rays of the bone. It is pretty much managed with oral pain management and time as they do grow out of it. The OCD is more of an injury to the cartilage of a joint and it causes a flap of it to come off into the joint. The front leg has the shoulder being the most common spot for it. It is diagnosed by x-rays and it is a surgical correction.

Here is a good link on the panosteitis.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2084&aid=466

Here is a good one on the osteochondritis dissecans.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2084&aid=464

The best thing I can recommend here is a trip to your vet so they can take an x-ray to see if it is one of these. Could this be another general soft tissue injury to the leg that just needs time to heal? That is then the next considerations.