Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What is the lump on my dogs leg

Customer Question
What is the lump on my dogs leg
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 8 year old boy Jaxon. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about

- How big is the lump? Where abouts on his leg is it? Which leg?
- How long has the lump been there? Have you noticed it get bigger?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The dog is actually a lab Great Dane mix he's 9 yrs old. Lump is on his front right near the carpus about the size of a golf ball and yes it's gotten bigger

Hi again,

Thanks for that. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

This lump is definitely a concern given the size and location it is in. It could be anything from a simple 'lipoma' (fat lump) to another benign mass (such as a basal cell tumor or histiocytoma), to a malignant mass such as a mast cell tumor or squamous cell carcinoma. Because of the location and size of your boy's lump, I would definitely recommend that you follow up on this with your local vet as soon as possible. This will be a difficult mass to remove given the location, and the larger it is, the harder removal will be. There is a chance that it could be left if it is completely benign, but even in this case, it could grow to the point where it affects your boy's ability to walk, so would likely be removed regardless of the type of mass it is.

The next best step if for a FNA procedure to be done on the lump. This is a simple and painless procedure that involves a needle being placed in the mass to remove some cells. Once the needle is placed in the mass and some cells 'drawn up' via a syringe, these are placed on a microscope slide and sent to a pathology lab. Here they can make a cytological diagnosis a lot of the time without nasty larger biopsies. This will help to give a diagnosis and make a plan for your boy's mass. As above, the sooner this mass is removed the better, as the bigger it grows, the harder the procedure becomes. Do follow up with your vet this week on this if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jaxon. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian