Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chihuahua had had diarrhea since I boarded m Monday

Customer Question
My chihuahua had had...

My chihuahua had had diarrhea since I boarded him Monday night. He has inky eaten twice since then also

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

A couple of weeks ago I think he ate 2 fun size butterfingers candy bars bc u can't find them but had no symptoms He was acting normal before I boarded him and since I boarded him Monday noght. He ate Tuesday afternoon when I brought him home and then has diarrhea and been lethargic

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- How old is he?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any vomiting?

5- Any other symptoms?

He will be 4 in May and no to all the other questions except what I already told you

1- How much does he weigh?

12-13 lbs
He has eaten twice since Tuesday and has also had diarrhea since then, runny loose stools. They were getting thicker so I thought maybe he was getting better. The diarrhea is a dark brown in color

Friend, the fact that he has a history of being boarding I would recommend you drop a stool sample to your family vet for a fecal analysis to check for intestinal parasites. Other possible causes for diarrhea are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1 teaspoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- Offer him a bland diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian