Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10yr old dogs stomache is making loud gurgling noise all…

Customer Question
my 10yr old dogs stomache...
my 10yr old dogs stomache is making loud gurgling noise all night ...it sounds like mine when i'm about to run to rest room.. can you help me help my dog? I only have $10 on my debt card!..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now Vectra 3-D can cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, belly gurgling, etc) in sensitive dogs. Therefore you are right to wash off what you can before she absorbs any more. If you haven't tried already, using cool water and dish soap can be of benefit to break down the oils in the product and get it off the coat.

Otherwise, we'd want to start supportive care to counter those effects for the next few days. To start, you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication and we may need to speak to her local vet about a payment plan to get this addressed for her.

Though if she can keep this down and steadies, we can then plan to start her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, it sounds like your lass is having a GI reaction to the Vectra.Therefore, we'd want to wash off any lingering product and then use the above to soothe her stomach as this runs its course.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian