Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How to get skunk smell out of my dog?

Customer Question
I have a female husky...
I have a female husky mix. Tried washing skunk smell from her fur 4days ago but since then, after smelling normal, she will stink off skunk spray. she is unwilling to get up, she is favoring her back half lower tummy and licking butt and tummy. she's also panting & feels warm.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

What have you tried washing her with?

Does she bare any weight on the back leg? When did that start? Any injury or bites there?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

She's not bearing no weight on back leg. 50 to 60 breaths per min.pink gums and no bites or injury.cold dry nose. Four hours of no weight but eight hours since she began looking off and favoring back half.

But can she bear weight on it at all (even for a moment)?

Any swellings, sores, instability or boney crunching when you palpate the leg?

If picked up she will try to lay down but can support back half for a second but not at full or even half strength. No sores, boney crunching of bones.

So, its both legs that are causing her bother?

When she does stand for that moment, can she stand on the feet normally or does she try to stand on her paw top?

Can you confirm she can move those back legs voluntarily?

Two hours ago she crawled up on my bed.she will not stand or stand up. and is lays on her r.ight side.nev

Now your situation is quite challenging with Pitaa.

First, I suspect the skunk episode may be a red herring. This is because while it can cause weakness/anemia (low red blood cell levels) on rare occasion, this doesn't fit with her signs or those pink gums. Therefore, if she has hind limb weakness then this instead raises worries of possible spinal issues like disc disease (rupture or inflammation), spinal abscesses/bleeds/masses/clots and potential myopathies.

Just to note, since you mentioned the odor continually returning, we do often find bathing them in a combination of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and liquid dishwashing soap helpful. That said, again this is a minor issue compared to that hind limb weakness. In fact, if she were my patient, I would want her seen urgently. We'd want the local vet to perform a neurological examination and potentially start her on injectable pain relief and anti-inflammatory medication. If spinal issues are confirmed on that exam, we'd have to consider xray or preferably MRI (+/- spinal tap if infection is suspect) to see which issue is present and ensure your vet is able to effectively address this for her and get her settled.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian