Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I think my dog has glaucoma what can I do? She is closing

Customer Question

I think my dog has glaucoma what can I do ? She is closing one eye and it's like the first pic you shared. She is 10 and has had cloudy eyes for a while but now one is totally white and she is shutting it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is she in pain ? What pain killer should I get
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem.

The first thing to do would be to have her seen by a vet a soon as possible. Eye problems can escalate from a little bit red to loss of vision very quickly, it is always best to handle eye problems as soon as possible to avoid long term damage.

Glaucoma diagnosis requires testing the intraocular pressure (eye pressure). If the pressures are elevated, then drops are given twice daily to lower the pressure. This is how most glaucoma is treated. Some cases are more severe and require multiple eye drops, some require surgery (very rare).

Since we do not know if this is glaucoma, you should avoid any over the counter medications that could make this worse (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc). Your vet can give you appropriate safe pain medications for her condition dependent on the exam. Medications that increase risk of bleeding (like NSAIDs) can make eye problems worse depending on the specific diagnosis, so it is safest to wait. If you have tramadol or gabapentin that has been prescribed for her in the past, you can give that.

The best thing to do is have her seen this morning if possible to make sure they eye is not glaucomatous. There could be something else going on such as a corneal ulcer, conjunctivitis, or uveitis (inflammation in the eye), which can often look similar without testing.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can help you any further. I will stand by and await your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. I wish you and your pet the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!