How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16531
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog is 110 pounds and he just ate about 20 grapes? Is

Customer Question

My dog is 110 pounds and he just ate about 20 grapes? Is this toxic for his size?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Boomer ingested some grapes, but pleased to hear that he didn't eat many and he is a big fellow.

Dogs must eat a certain amount per pound of body weight to get sick. Grapes can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, then increased water consumption, lethargy, and kidney failure in dogs, but the toxicity is dose dependent meaning a big dog would have to eat more than a small dog.

Some dogs are more sensitive than others but a toxic dose is usually 3 grapes per kilogram of body weight (3 grapes per 2.2 pounds).

In very sensitive dogs they report that dangerous doses begin at about 0.18 ounces of grapes per pound of dog weight. There are about 5 medium grapes per ounce, so that means about 1 grape per pound could be toxic.

If he weighs 110 pounds he should have to have eaten more than 110 grapes to see signs of toxicity.

I understand there is a lot of conflicting information out there. To be safe we recommend no grapes. But they do need to eat a certain minimal amount per pound of body weight.

I always recommend that owners watch their pups for vomiting and/or diarrhea several hours later just in case he ate more then you thought he did. Signs of toxicity usually occur with 12 to 24 hours, but in some cases 48 hours. Further signs of toxicity include lethargy, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, increased water consumption and finally lack of urine production.

I tell owners if they see vomiting and diarrhea with any amount of grapes fed we need to get them on intravenous fluids to protect the kidneys.

Best of luck with Boomer, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****