Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Have a 12 year old male dachshund with arthritis. Mom took m…

Customer Question
Hi....have a 12 year...

Hi....have a 12 year old male dachshund with arthritis. Mom took him on walk and now stiff and sore and every so often, favors front leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dachshund?

He has had this before and have prescription for tramadol and predisone which both have been given

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long ago were these drugs given today?

Any improvement with them?

Is he on them daily or just as needed?

Any swellings, sores, boney crunching or instability when you examine the sore leg?

No worries. He seems to be moving around better this morning which is great. I only give the tramadol and/or predisone as needed. I gave him the predisone about 630 and the tramadol about 930 last night.
He hadn't really been walked much this winter and she took him on a longer than normal one which I am sure aggravated it. Just going to have him take it easy today

Hi again,

I am very glad to hear that he has and that sounds like a perfect plan of action. With his situation and signs, this does just sound like an arthritic dog overdoing the exercise and nothing more sinister. Therefore, we'd want to consider rest as you noted but I would also suggest continuing the Tramadol and steroids for another few days to ensure we get this all settled and prevent recurrence. As well, while we want to plan to slowly increase exercise over time (since he will over do it allowed), you may want to consider an OTC joint support (ie glucosamine, chondroitin, omega 3+6, duralactin) to just keep him steady and moving comfortably.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Thanks for the advice! Our normal vet had told me that as he got older, a year or so back, that this would probably happen more as he got older. Just sometimes hard to watch...

You are very welcome,

Unfortunately, it does tend to be more common as they age just as it is for us. Still, you did everything right in response to his signs and if we use those supports I noted as a daily treatment we can hopefully reduce the risk of these occurrences further for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

**Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). IF you have any lingering questions, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Hi Debby,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
He is holding his own. He ended up getting stiff and sore again so I took him to my normal vet Monday morning. Turns out he pulled a muscle in his neck and shoulders because he jumped either in or out of my mom's car when they came back that day from the walk.The vet gave him a predisone shot and now he is on a regiment of predisone and Tramadol (as needed) for the next 10 days. Still a little stiff in the morning first thing but moving much better and slowly but surely getting back to his normal self. Know it won't heal overnight.....I just need to be patient

Thank you for the update,

Poor wee lad! Jumping in and out of the car could certainly strain the neck/shoulder muscles in this breed. So, I am glad to hear that they are continuing treatment and do give him some time since strains do need lots of rest (even for us) to settle.

All the best & have a great day,

Dr. B.

*Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Yep, I know I am going to have to give him time to heal which I am not patient about. As with me, it seems like we are stiff and slightly sore first thing, and then as we move around and get the blood moving, we loosen up and move much better. I am going to give him predisone today and tomorrow before I go to every other day for an additional 10 days. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Absolutely, it is a marathon (something our dogs often forget). So, it is a tincture of time in these cases but your steroid plan sounds perfect for reducing that inflammation and keep him moving well.

Take care,

Dr. B.

**Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )