Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog woke up with a swolen face this morning. I gave m…

Customer Question
My dog woke up with...
My dog woke up with a swolen face this morning. I gave him benadryl. The swelling went away but now he isn't eating and has bumps on his head.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your Boxer boy. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about

- How heavy is your boy and how much Benadryl did you give him?
- Is he drinking ok?

- Is he panting or does he seem to be having any difficulty breathing?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E

He is about 70 lbs and I've given him 4 throughout the day. He is drinking and breathing fine.

Hi there,

Thanks for that extra info. It sounds like the Benadryl has done the trick for the most part. The dose for your boy should be 1mg per pound of body weight up to 3 times daily.I'm not sure what size tablets you have - but he needs around 70mg at a time (3 x 25mg tablets or 1.5 x 50mg tablets would be fine). IF you have been giving him smaller amounts than this, then you could one more dose at 70mg in total.

The main thing is that the swelling has gone down here - that is great to hear. The small bumps will probably take 12 - 24 hours to settle (depending on the cause of the allergic reaction). So our only concern remaining is your boy's appetite. This could be related to the allergic reaction, the Benadryl, or indeed something else entirely. Continue to entice him with his regular dog food, but you may also need to try something like freshly cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast to get him interested. It is great to hear he is drinking fine, as dehydration would be an issue otherwise, and the fact his breathing is normal means that you are on top of the allergic reaction here as well.

In case your boy still has some of the offending allergen on him. Wipe down the area that has the small bumps with a warm wet flannel or cloth to remove anything remaining. It is more likely this was due to a bee or bug sting/bite, but wiping the area will help to rule out a contact allergen.

Continue to encourage him to eat, have plenty of fresh water available for him, and if you haven't been giving 70mg of Benadryl per dose, try one more dose at this rate. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.