Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had rat poison tablet in s mouth. I 't think he

Customer Question
My dog had rat poison...
My dog had rat poison tablet in his mouth. I don't think he chewed it, but he was licking it. The poison is brome thallium. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello.

Bromethalin is a toxin that can potentially cause neurologic signs- tremors, seizures, even death if enough was ingested. I always treat if there is suspected exposure, as there is no reversal agent or effective treatment once they show signs.

With an unknown amount ingested, I would do the following:

1. Induce vomiting. We do this by giving 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per 5 lb body weight.

2. Take him to a vet to give activated charcoal. This will bind any toxin that is in the GI tract or going through the bile circulation

3. Monitor for 12 hours. This can be done at home. If any tremors or seizures, then get him hospitalized. Most dogs show no signs as long as we do the GI decontamination up front.

I don't ever trust that all of it was spit out. I always assume some was ingested and error on the side of caution.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cooper. How is everything going?