Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Why would a calve be born with uncontollable shakes

Customer Question
why would a calve be born with uncontollable shakes
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, we can see tremors/shaking in calves for a range of reasons. Though for those with shakes from birth, our main concerns would be genetic disease (ie degenerative axonopathy, neuroaxonal dystrophy, glycogen storage disease, etc), sepsis from in utero infection or damage to the brain secondary to low oxygen levels at birth (a major issue for breech or difficult births). In regards ***** ***** for these causes, I would note that some infection cases can be treated with antibiotics, some low oxygen cases can improve with time, but the genetic one often do not improve and can worsen/die within days of birth.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian