Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Why does my 6 yr.old Lab eat fabris-bottom of

Customer Question
drapes,blankets or throe rugs?...
Why does my 6 yr.old Lab eat fabris-bottom of drapes,blankets or throe rugs?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry your Peyton is doing this! I understand how difficult it is to stop this behavior!

Unfortunately sometimes this behavior called PICA requires medical intervention to treat this condition but there are a few things that you can try to help reduce the frequency

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/pica-in-dogs

- Regular leash walk exercise of at least an hour, often this is an obsessive compulsive disorder in higher energy dogs and reducing their energy can make a significant reduction in this behavior. Not running around the yard but leash walks where they are stimulated to listen to you and tire their body at the same tim
- A high quality food, with no by products and human grade ingredients. Preferably a low fat high fiber food to increase her satiety or feeling full therefore doesn't feel the need to put more in her mouth. Unfortunately being a Labrador there often isn't a feeling of satiety in their stomachs!
- Enclosing her in a safe location when you are not able to monitor her at least for the first month of trying out the above so she cannot harm herself
- Consider giving her a job, something like agility work or rally which is AKC obedience that can give her a sense of purpose

If these options don't work and she continues to do this then it is time to discuss possible medications to treat this condition. Along with behavioral modification above it can make a difference in reducing these ingestions but I have a cat that does this as well and she is never allowed in rooms with towels/ blankets without supervision because she still has the tendency if she isn't stimulated enough

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!