Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is bleeding heavy, I 't think its her menstrual. What…

Customer Question
My dog is bleeding heavy...
My dog is bleeding heavy, I don't think its her menstrual. What can be wrong, she is not eating, she just lays there?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Foxie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long has she been like this? If she is not spayed, has a bloody discharge from her vulva, and is not eating, my first concern is an infection of her uterus called a pyometra. This is common in older unspayed female dogs, and can be serious.

I like to recommend home remedies whenever I can, but Foxie needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. This could be a bladder infection and she may just need antibiotics, but if she has a pyometra this could be life threatening. I don't want to scare you, but a pyometra is very serious and she needs to be checked by a veterinarian today.

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have. Rebecca

Foxie has been like this since yesterday. Do you know how much it would cost to take her to an emergency clinic?

It really depends on the clinic. Many regular vet hospitals are open on Saturday (like mine! I go in to see clients in an hour).

This is a website that lists places that can help with vet bills:

http://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills

Let me know how she is doing.

How is Foxie doing?

How is Foxie today?

Hi Gertrude,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Foxie. How is everything going?
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian