Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog fell from the stairs an he nail came off? the dog…

Customer Question
HI my dog fell...

HI my dog fell from the stairs an he nail came off?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The dog fell down the stairs and one of his nails broke off and was bleeding. so we washed it and stopped the bleeding .he some time he step on the foot and other times he doesn't,

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he fall?

Does it look like the whole nail came off or can you see the hard nail material still visible at its base?

Yesterday. The whole nail came off there no exec nail hanging

Good, I am glad to hear that it has all come away. If it had not done so, then you would have needed his local vet to sedate him and remove the rest since they can pinch and cause pain to the exposed nerve bed. Now if that has all come away, then the focus in these cases is to keep it infection free and keep the dog comfortable as the exposed nail bed dries out and the nail regrows.

Now since dogs tend to lick these and introduce infection, we do need to tend to block their access to it. Therefore, we'd want to consider short term use of an e-collar +/- a light covering over the toe (ie sock, light bandage). Furthermore, we do tend to bathe these with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, salt water, etc) 2-3 times daily and can apply and OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) to them.

Finally, since it tends to be sore (which is what his intermittent reluctance to use the foot is telling us), we'd also want to consider speaking to his local vet about dog safe anti-inflammatory medication. As I am sure you can appreciate most human OTC ones are not dog safe and Aspirin isn't advisable if we have had a trauma with bleeding (since its a blood thinner). But if we were to have his vet start him on Rimadyl, Metacam, Onsior, or Previcox; those should reduce inflammation here plus address any other bruises or strains from the fall and get him more comfortable quicker as this heals.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

**Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). IF you have any lingering questions, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)