Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a choc lab he is a year old.he drinks the water from…

Customer Question
i have a choc lab...
i have a choc lab he is a year old.he drinks the water from are pool in the back yard.how bad is it for him and how can i stop him from drinking it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The pool water is not too bad for him. The chlorine levels can lead to some GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea). Other than that, the water is pretty diluted where it's not going to be toxic.

I would try to discourage this as much as you can. I know it's not easy when they are outside and unsupervised. You may want to have a bowl of fresh water outside for him so that he is less tempted to drink the pool water.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Jeffrey,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Qwik. How is everything going?