Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I believe my dog has a UTI. She has been outside at least 12

Customer Question
I believe my dog has...
I believe my dog has a UTI. She has been outside at least 12 times in the last hour and has peed at least 5-6 times each visit. Also, a little diarrhea.
It is late on Friday evening and I will call our vet first thing in the a.m. for antibiotics, or whatever she suggests, but my question is - what can I do for relief for her now?
I have some AZO, over the counter, people pills. Can she have them. She weighs 72 lbs.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry that your dog has straining and diarrhea. First please no immodium, some dogs can have a reaction to this medication and although most are breed related there are a few that are unrelated to breed and can cause significant illness so I do not advise use of this medication. Unfortunately azo is really not effective in dogs and can also be toxic for them as it can cause the red blood cells to break down.

There are a handful of causes of straining to urinate:

1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind
5.) Kidney changes

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or no salt broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the straining to urinate and to get your pet comfortable swiftly

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not happy that this answer did not come until 11:00 a.m. this morning.
I needed this answer last night. I already collected a urine sample first thing this morning and took it, and my dog, to our vet. I was already home when this answer came in! Don't really want to pay this $19 and, most especially, I want to make sure I'm not joining something for an ongoing charge per month.

I apologize if you were unable to view my responses last night, I did respond within ten minutes of your question posting but there must have been a glitch in the system that made it difficult for you to view the response

I will send the question to customer service to aid in refunding your deposit and ensure you are not signed up for a monthly membership.

Please do not respond again as I will not be able to view nor answer any further questions. Again I apologize for any inconveniences...

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian