Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just noticed a bulge in my 5 month old Newfoundland, after…

Customer Question
I just noticed a bulge...
I just noticed a bulge in my 5 month old Newfoundland, after researching, I believe theres a good chance he has what there calling cherry eye. I have never heard of this till now. Can anything be done beside surgery, and what is the ball park figure of this kind of surgrey if need be. Thank-you! Randy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi Randy. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you take a photo of what you're seeing and post it here so I can view it. A cherry eye is a prolapse of a gland associated with the gland of the 3rd eyelid. It looks like a bulge on the inner edge of the eye (towards the side of the nose). It is typically pink / reddish. They are usually very comfortable when it happens as they aren't holding the eye shut or acting off in any way. Here is a link on it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=567