Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

MY DOG REAR LEGS ARE SWOLLEN GIVING NHIM LASIX. HE HAS JUST…

Customer Question
MY DOG REAR LEGS...

MY DOG REAR LEGS ARE SWOLLEN GIVING NHIM LASIX. HE HAS JUST HADA NUTERING A MONTH AGO.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

YES NO INJURY . HIS SACK IS LARGE AFTER URINATING HE DRIBBLES I THINK ITS AN ENLARGED PROSTATE PROBLEM. PRESSING ON HIS SWOLLEN LEGS HIS LEGS ARE WARM TO THE TOUCH

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

HIS NAME IS COSMO AND 6 YRS OLD.NO SIGN OF HIP RPOBLEMS IN THE PAST

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cosmo?

NO BUT THE SWELLING IN HIS LEGS WAS PRIOR TO THE NUTERING

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with Cosmo. In most cases the swelling represents a peripheral/dependent edema secondary to either right-sided heart failure or a lack of albumin in his bloodstream caused by a failing liver unable to produce albumin or albumin loss through his kidneys or bowels. Has his vet carefully auscultated (listened to) Cosmos's heart and X-rayed it? Have diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests been performed to quantify his serum albumin level?

Such edema would be unusual secondary to prostatic disease unless a prostatic adenocarcinoma (cancer) had metastasized and cancer cells were blocking the lymphatic draining in his legs which then caused them to swell. Was this possibility mentioned to you and prostatic enlargement why Cosmo was neutered?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian