Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 17 yr old dog has an inguinal hernia inoperable because…

Customer Question
my 17 yr old dog...
my 17 yr old dog has an inguinal hernia inoperable because she will not make the anesthesia.. it is as big as a grapefruit and for what I have read it can be the intestines in the large growth. if left un treated will this rupture ???? I am trying to see if I should take her to be put to rest but want to make sure im doing the right this. she is alert , eats not lethargic and mentally she is with it but seems her body is not. it has a tiny hole where blood and liquid come out very tiny but I need feedback to see what is the best thing as this has grown huge from one day to the next >???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions, though, to better assess your situation.

It may sound like a stupid question, but I wanted to make sure that your vet has confirmed that this is a hernia and not some other mass, such as a lymph node?

The tiny hole that is bleeding is coming from the swelling?

supposedly an inguinal hernia that I guess now has intestines inside and keeps growing and yes tiny drops of blood from swelling. I have a pic but don't know how to get to u. im worried this will rupture just trying to decide if its her time and need some feedback. yes tiny drops of blook from swelling and she tried to pick at it. larger than a grapefruit

Thanks for the information. The reason I asked if it has a confirmed diagnosis of a hernia is because they usually do not form sores and leak blood and fluid like that. We normally see that from tumors that have outgrown their blood supply. If it is a hernia, the intestinal tract and bladder can both herniated into there. If she is eating and urinating normally; it isn't an immediate concern. Normally if something like that is happening and surgery is not an option, I tell people that the slightest hint of inappetance, vomiting, pain or difficulty urinating would require immediate veterinary attention and may mean that it is time for humane euthanasia. Being that it is leaking, if it is a hernia, that is not a good sign at all and needs to be investigated by your vet. I would recommend getting an x-ray of the area done to see if it is a hernia, and if it is, make sure the intestinal tract and bladder are not entrapped in there already. Chances are they are not entrapped if there are no problems, and if you cannot reduce the hernia back into the abdomen, they most likely won't become entrapped because the opening is too small. If it is a tumor that has outgrown its blood supply, though, that can be a bad sign. Your vet can manage it with topical medication and antibiotics, but it is most likely never get better. In those instances, I would say euthanasia may be necessary because they can become very messy. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian