Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6lb yorkie just ate about 10 almonds and 10 milk

Customer Question
chocolate pieces- should I induce...
My 6lb yorkie just ate about 10 almonds and 10 milk chocolate pieces- should I induce vomitting
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Depending on the ounces of each chocolate this ingestion may result in moderate to more significant signs of chocolate ingestion symptoms which can include

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 3/4 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting induced, please consider a veterinary er to administer stronger medications. If you have the ounces ingested of the milk chocolate then I am happy to calculate the level of concern but first priority is to remove if from her stomach

If you elect not to seek veterinary er care, there is no vomiting and you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then he should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days (10 mg 1/8 tablet)
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tonight bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if she shows this symptom

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I have Peroxyl which is 1.5% hydrogen peroxide. 10 ml=150mg. Is this ok?

Unfortunately no, the other ingredients are not advised to be swallowed in this product. If you have a local drug store that you can get to quickly or a neighbor?

Do you know the ounces of chocolate ingested?

Never mind I found the 3% kind

OK perfect!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

she vomited 5-6 times and it looks like everything came up. Because it was an m and m candy pieces- it was of course colored, but looked like mostly nuts. Should she be ok now and what should I look for over the next few hours?

• Continued Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then she should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

I am online an additional 15 minutes before exiting to see appointments this morning. Is there anything else I can assist with today?

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Roxanne to see if she had any issues after ingesting the milk chocolate this morning? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian