Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Sorry, I wasn't sure I was actually speaking with someone.

Customer Question
Good Morning Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Good Morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Sorry, I wasn’t sure I was actually speaking with someone. Here is our case:We have a 9 year old Mini Schnauzer, named Chile that has been sick for the past week and a bit. I took her to our vet last Friday the 26th of February and he examined her and looked at a sample of her stool under the microscope, I was told nothing was out of the ordinary. He didn’t do any blood samples. We just finished a day 5 course of flagyl to treat a suspected case of giardiasis. Chile was doing well on the medication and was back to her old self. We finished the 5 day course Wednesday morning (the 2nd of March), we thought all was back to normal but she got sick again this morning at 4am. We skipped feeding her this morning and you can tell she’s not well again. I still have 3 tablets left of the flagyl. Should I carry on giving her a half tablet for the rest of the weekend?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe the symptoms that Chile is showing?

Her symptoms are:
1. Excessive drinking
2. Vomiting
3. Tail down you can tell she’s uncomfortable
4. Withdrawn
5. She still wants to eat

1- Is she losing weight?

2- So it is fair to say that she is drinking more than usual, correct?

3- Is she on any other medications besides flagyl?

4- Any other symptoms?

1- no
2- yes, it seems that way
3- no, she finished the 5 day course of flagyl on Wednesday morning
4- her stool at the moment seems regular and she goes regularly

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting and lethargy can be caused by either primary disorders affecting the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. The fact that she is drinking more than usual we need to rule out things like: Pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, hormonal disorders, tumors, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would strongly recommend having her re-checked by family veterinarian. Discuss with your vet about running some blood work, urinalysis and xrays as initial screening test to rule out the above mentioned diseases. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. Do not start her on Flagyl until she is re-checked by family vet.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian as discussed above.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter