Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We brought home a 10 week old puppy last Thursfay. The next

Customer Question
Hi. We brought home...
Hi. We brought home a 10 week old puppy last Thursfay. The next day she started having diarrhea. We took her in the following day and they said she had roundworms. She was put on 3 days of penacur. She got really sick. Lots of diarrhea and loss of appetite. We put her on boiled chicken and rice. She ate some but still had the diarrhea so we took her back in yesterday to the vet. She had dropped from 4 lbs to 3 so they put her on a high calorie supplement. Her diarrhea is still terrible.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm worried that her appetite isn't great still. She'll eat a tiny bit of the wet food they put her on but that's it. I give her the supplement by syringe. She drinks a ton of water and still sleeps a lot. But the diarrhea is strange. It almost had some form this morning which got us all excited and then it went downhill again. It also goes from brown to yellow to very light and back again.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Coccidia need to be considered in your pup. Fenbendazole is a broad spectrum wormer with efficacy against all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) as well as the protozoan Giardia but doesn't address a coccidial infection. Coronavirus is another consideration because it can cause a transient diarrhea at her age. Parvovirus is unlikely because she's eating - if only a small amount. Her "drinking a ton of water" indicates that she remains dehydrated in spite of drinking so much - likely due to her persistent fluid loss through her bowels. It would be prudent to have her vet give her supplemental fluids by needle - either as an outpatient subcutaneously or intravenously while hospitalized.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I'm attending a continuing education seminar and will be in and out but promise to reply as soon as I can if need be.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian