Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is limping and I wasn't trying to think of something to…

Customer Question
She is limping and...

She is limping and I wasn't trying to think of something to give her that would make her stop moving around so much?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Mixed terrier 12lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes there's no wound.. i can hold her foot and she's ok with it but when i even brush her shoulder, she starts to shake a little

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the terrier's name and age?

We have tramadol 50 mg caplets from a few months ago when she tried to get out of her crate and hurt herself. it says to give 1/4 of the pill and doesn't seem to be doing anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the terrier?

She has anxiety but that's it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she limping from a back or front leg?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Do you know how she got hurt?

4- Are you asking of wanting a tranquilizer?

I believe it's her front leg. We are taking her to the vet tomorrow. We noticed around 530 tonight. We think she jumped off the bed and landed wrong. She slips sometimes, we have wood floors. We gave her a pain pill she had before tramadol and we gave her 12.5 mgs. Is there anything else we can do until the morning?

Friend, Tramadol is an excellent pain killer but sometimes it make take some time for you to notice significant improvement. In addition, if the lameness is being caused by a soft tissue injury, a pinched nerve or even a fracture you are not going to see the lameness go away quickly on Tramadol, she will need some time. In addition, she may need an anti inflammatory medication. For now, I would not do anything different or give over the counter pain killers. Keep her on Tramadol every 6-8 hours. Follow up with family vet in the morning.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!