Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

She is a pom, has eaten cat poop out of the litter box and

Customer Question

She is a pom, has eaten cat poop out of the litter box and has diarrhea and little blood...She seems fine, not in any pain or tenderness
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Peaches and she is 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peaches?
Customer: We take here regularly to the vet, has had all her shots, indoor dog, no other problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian;-) My dog does this frequently so I know how frustrating it can be. Usually the gastrointestinal difficulty comes more from litter causing irritation to the stomach lining. As long as she isn't vomiting or lethargy, I would just change things up to her diet for a couple of days. To do this, I would feed her only a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. You can also add in a source of probiotic to help rebalance the intestinal bacteria ("good bacteria") in her gut. You can do this easily by adding a couple teaspoons daily of yogurt containing an active live culture (such as Activia) as long as it is non-flavored and sugar free. After a day or so, if stool are firming back up and/or she becomes worse suddenly (e.g. vomiting, straining to defecate, lethargy), I would go ahead and take her in to her regular veterinarian:)

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if I can clarify or expand on anything here. If you are happy with my response, please take the time to rate my answer to your question about your Pomeranian today:)

Hello, I am following up to see how Peaches is feeling? Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service."Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett