Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 18 years back legs are going out I order some re L…

Customer Question
My dog is 18 years...
My dog is 18 years back legs are going out I order some re
L good powder for hips and joints for older dogs it help for a little while I now order his second box it call extened joint care my. Dog weights about 150 he was hit by a car about 12 years ago .what can I do to help my dog
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Joint support supplements will not be sufficient at this point. No matter what quality product and no matter what combination of them you try, it is time to up the game a bit on the therapy for Oreo.

At this age, I do not doubt there is substantial and diffuse arthritic issues.

Therefore, Oreo may do substantially better getting on a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication from the vet like Rimadyl or Metacam, as well as, starting a pain medication like Gabapentin or Tramadol.

AT this age, I would recommend both a NSAID and starting pain medicine together.

But, neither of these would replace your joint support products. You would continue those as well.

Hope that information helps

Dr. Andy, Medical Director