Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is refusing to go upstairs and jumping onto the bed.

Customer Question
Hello, my name is...

Hello, my name is Tien. My dog is refusing to go upstairs and jumping onto the bed. And when I carry him up, he starts shivering.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He was fine yesterday. I've checked my legs and paws and everything looks good. He's eating and drinking

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Breed?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

Hi Dr. Peter,My dog is 10 years old, yorkie terrier mix without pre existing medical conditions. He's not showing any symptoms other.

1- Is he walking any different?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Did he get into anything?

Nothing different. He still has an appetite, and I didn't see him getting into anything. No vomit

How long has this been going on?

2 days

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the symptoms that you are describing are consistent with being in pain, the fact that he is reluctant to jump and go up stairs we need to consider neuromuscular pain as a result of back or hip pain. Less likely we can also see similar symptoms with abdominal pain.

In this case unfortunately we are limited as what you can do at home. I would recommend a hands on examination with family vet in the morning. If your vet concludes that it is neuromuscular pain they will start him on prescription anti inflammatory medications. Do Not give over the counter pain killers most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications that your vet may want to use.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!