Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is refusing to go upstairs and jumping onto the bed.

Customer Question

Hello, my name is Tien. My dog is refusing to go upstairs and jumping onto the bed. And when I carry him up, he starts shivering.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He was fine yesterday. I've checked my legs and paws and everything looks good. He's eating and drinking
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Breed?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Peter,My dog is 10 years old, yorkie terrier mix without pre existing medical conditions. He's not showing any symptoms other.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Is he walking any different?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Did he get into anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing different. He still has an appetite, and I didn't see him getting into anything. No vomit
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 days
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the symptoms that you are describing are consistent with being in pain, the fact that he is reluctant to jump and go up stairs we need to consider neuromuscular pain as a result of back or hip pain. Less likely we can also see similar symptoms with abdominal pain.

In this case unfortunately we are limited as what you can do at home. I would recommend a hands on examination with family vet in the morning. If your vet concludes that it is neuromuscular pain they will start him on prescription anti inflammatory medications. Do Not give over the counter pain killers most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications that your vet may want to use.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!