Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My puppy has a lump under s jaw all of the subben. He was

Customer Question

My puppy has a lump under his jaw all of the subben. He was hurt by my female dog no blood was drawn. He is eating and playing but the lump is there
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Understood.

Well, even if there is no puncture in the skin, I can't rule-out that a abscess is not forming. However, with no penetration of the skin, an infection is less likely. So, two other considerations would include:

1. Hematoma (so a blood clot formed under the skin)

2. Seroma (like a cyst. It fills with fluid due to an inflammatory reaction).

Either way, a lump certainly doesn't belong there. Definitely, well worth a vet visit since we doin't know for sure if antibiotics should be started immediately or not.

If the vet is unsure, they may suggest a simple needle poke test to see what drains out of it to determine therapy.

Not a great idea to take a wait and see approach, since infection can't be ruled-out yet.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chase. How is everything going?