Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Pavo virus My 2 puppies have this virus I'm loosing them…

Customer Question
Pavo virusMy 2 puppies have...
Pavo virusMy 2 puppies have this virus I'm loosing them they might die
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

If you can, I would have both puppies hospitalized at a vet clinic. With hospitalization and aggressive care, we get a > 90% survival rate. I usually have them on IV fluids, anti-nausea meds, antibiotics and I'll have a naso-gastric tube in place to trickle feed them.

If you can't get them hospitalized, the survival rate drops to 30-50% with at home care. In those puppies, I still have owners give injectable fluids under the skin 1-2 times daily (ie sub-Q fluids). I also have them give anti-nausea meds and antibiotics orally. Lastly, I would syringe feed some canned food every 2-4 hours. Small volumes ever 2-4 hours to keep nutrients going to the gut.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Milk thistle is for liver disease, that's not needed here. It won't help at all.

Yes, the food can be given with a syringe. That's the best way to get the gut lining to heal- get food to it.

You can boil chicken or hamburger, but I prefer a blended canned food/ water as it's easier to syringe.

Flagyl (Metronidazole) is the ideal antibiotic for these puppies, I usually give that.

Electrolytes (ie Pedialyte) can also be given with the food. That stuff you have can be syringed with the food/ water.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian