Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got s tongue stuck to metal and managed to detach it…

Customer Question
My dog got his...

My dog got his tongue stuck to metal and managed to detach it but he is bleeding and I cannot get to a vet..what would be my other options to stop bleeding?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No, he is healthy and utd on all vaccines...no known allergies

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** will try and help you as best as I can.

I am sorry to hear this has happened to your dog.

How bad is the bleeding: very small drip here and there, or flowing much more?

What have you tried so far and how long has he been bleeding?

Is he on any medications right now and have you given any medications today?

thanks.not flowing but a little more than a drip. It happened about 45 min ago and he has taken 2 tablets of .5 mg of mylan alprazolam ( for his flight here). It has slowed down considerably..I have tried nothing except to keep him calm..

I see.

Hopefully the alprazolam is calming him a bit. Ideally, direct pressure is going to be what you need to do, however that only works in a very small number of very well trained dogs. You can try placing some flour or cornstarch on the bleeding area which may help it clot, however that will be temporary and may require multiple applications. If it is a very slow bleed, it should stop on its own with some time. The only other way to stop it completely would require sedation, direct pressure for a few minutes, and potentially suturing the bleeding area closed. If you are unable to get to a vet, I would do your best to put pressure on the wound. You can try icing it as well, again this may be difficult with many dogs.

ok, thank you..what about water and salt? I want to avoid infection... Also I assume after 24-48 hours if it does not seem to be healing I should be taking more extreme measures? ( medevac him out of here). I also work for a hospital so I can probably get him some sani flushes if you think I can wash out his tongue with that..

Water and salt may or may not be helpful. What I don't want is you to induce vomiting by giving any salt. I would hold on that for now. Where are you that you do not have a vet available in your area? As far as infection is concerned, I would recommend systemic (oral) antibiotics in these cases. I would worry about anything topical irritating the site and causing upset stomach as dogs are not good at spitting things out.

I recommend calling your vet to see if they can call in a prescription to a pharmacy near you for oral antibiotics, that way you can start them now. Just make sure you are able to speak with your vet to discuss the problem, I suspect they will be ok calling that in for you if you explain your situation.

Perfect, thank you so much for your help. My vet knows I am here and what our situation is so they would absolutely call in a prescription for me if need be.Thanks again!

You are very welcome. I wish you both the best.

Have a great day!

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

I just wanted to check in. I never heard back from you. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!